Recently while reading some articles at www.achievementdigest.com, I ran across a piece by Gene Griessman titled, "Top 7 Secrets of Communication that Abraham Lincoln Used for Effective Leadership." I believe that there can be some real applications here for leaders in our churches and schools as well.
The seven simple, timeless principles of good communication and leadership that Abraham Lincoln utilized were as follows:
1) IF YOU WANT TO COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY, YOU MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY.
2) USE STORIES, ANALOGIES AND IMAGERY (not "jokes").
3) ASK QUESTIONS.
4) KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE.
5) CONVINCE THE AUDIENCE THAT YOU ARE A FRIEND WHO HAS THEIR BEST INTEREST AT HEART.
6) CONSIDER THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR MESSAGE.
7) IMPROVE YOUR ABILITY EVERY DAY.
Some great food for thought!